About Me

My photo
I'm a student at the University of South Alabama where I hope to become a high school history teacher one day.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Talkin' About My Generation







This by far has been the best video of the year. The Evolution of "Whatever" is a video by Michael Wesch, its 30 minutes long but definitely worth the time to watch it.

He starts with the two versions of 1984 and which theory has come to fruition. Obviously, Orwell's version has not come to fruition---big brother has not taken over fully, however, the Huxley version (A Brave New World) has come to fruition. People want to amuse themselves to death. Our generation today is a perfect example of this. Our generation or the MTV generation has short attention spans, and is extremely narcissistic---it's all about us. And then the author goes into the evolution of the word whatever to show how generations have evolved. In the 60's whatever meant i don't care to meh---indifference to whatever---I do what I want. He then cuts back to our generation's need to be narcissistic and that this whole social media is a product of us feeling this way.

I think that social media can be a good thing, I think that it helps people that lack certain social skills to open up and share with the world what the feel, or meet new people. I think it honestly does give a sense of identity to certain people, so in that case its a great thing. However, to me it seems like we're feeding our generation's need to be narcissistic, and shouldn't we be breaking that habbit? But....whatever we'll see how this turns out.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica, I agree with your assessment of the MTV generation; very short attention spans but somehow they tend to multitask very well. For example, they can listen to their ipods, work on the computer, and talk on the cell phone at the same time.

    ReplyDelete