About Me

My photo
I'm a student at the University of South Alabama where I hope to become a high school history teacher one day.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 8, 2010

comments4teachers


February 28th- I posted a comment on Beth's blog (the nebraska change agent). Beth's blog for this day was about Moodle. Moodle is an online site for teachers and students. It is a source for "blended learning"----where people go to class and also have things to do online, kind of like this class. And I found Moodle to be very helpful and maybe one day, I'll use it.

March 2nd- Her titled blog this week was Rising Start Looking to Shine? The only Principal she has worked with is retiring, and she is looking for someone that can fill his shoes. She also starts to explain the programs in her school, for example, Valley Alternative Learning Transitioning School (VALTS)- An alternative school that serves somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 students who are simply square pegs in round holes. They are students who, for a variety of reasons, just don’t thrive in a traditional high school environment. Students attend class Monday through Thursday for a total of 12 hours per week in either the morning or afternoon. They are expected to work an average of 20 hours per week which count as elective credit. Friday’s are reserved for teacher planning and student make-up work. That's really it, I enjoyed learning about her school, and realized I'd like to teach at a school like that.

March 8th-"Backchannel gone right" was the title of her blog this week. She talked about how her students got to interact with Ted Talk via skype video. They got to interact with him and ask him question....this really impressed the kids and they got more involved. here is a link to ted's website...go check it outted talk

March 28th- Her last post for the month of March and it was title Presentation Sharing---WE NEED YOU. She started a wiki to help clean up her PLN...make it a little easier. A very interesting tool for when I develop my own PLN.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 10 and 12- I found Blogging about the Web 2.0 Connected Classroom by Steven Anderson intriguing. His first post I commented on was back in February, and it was about how our kids do not find the relevance in the subjects they are learning. I fear I will have this problem when I become a teacher, especially since the subject I'm teaching is history. Kids don't appreciate the past because they can't relate to it.

His second post I commented on was his views on Google Earth. I commented on it because we are doing a Google Earth Project. And Google Earth is a very helpful tool when you're trying to explain where things are. You can even go back to see how bulidings and countries were shaped. To me, as a future history teacher, I found this extremely important because it can help me to excite them about history, and they can see how things were and get a better understanding for the subject material.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 13 and 14- I commented on Joe Dale's blog titled Integrating ICT into the MFL classroom. The two post I comment on were his most recent ones. He started out talking about a tool calledRadio Lingua. It is a tool used enhance language learning. Learning a foriegn language is not my speciality, but this tool is extremely helpful...I encourage everyone who reads this to check it out.

His next post feautred skype and how to record calls using PrettyMay and Pamela (Tutorials.)Although an interesting tool, I found the fact that someone can record my conversation without telling me a little frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment