About Me

My photo
I'm a student at the University of South Alabama where I hope to become a high school history teacher one day.

Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Schools Kill Creativity

I found the Sir Ken Roberts talk: the importance of creativity, to be very interesting. He talked about how schools have pretty much crushed our kids creativity. The kids who excel in certain areas like drama and art, are seen as not acceptable in this society, and that educators worry too much about mathematics and language instead of the arts when it should be equally taught; everyone is different.

I agree with his theory. I believe that everyone has a different perception, because of how they are hardwired. Mr. Roberts gives an example of a girl who was very fidgety and wouldn't calm down--today, they would think that she was ADHD. So she goes to the doctor and the doctor speaks with her. Come to find out, she learns through movement. I also believe that he wanted to say that everyone is different and we as future educators should pay attention to our students, and help flourish their talents instead of crush them--especially if they are different.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comments on Sir Ken Roberts talk. Yes, educators should pay more attention to students and try to learn the type of student they are. I think too many teachers are easy to give up on a student and claim they need to be on medicine for attention problems rather than accommodating their learning style. Afterall, everyone is different and learns differently.

    ReplyDelete