About Me

My photo
I'm a student at the University of South Alabama where I hope to become a high school history teacher one day.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Honesty Required?





I'm not exactly sure if we're supposed to blog about this topic, however, since Dr. Strange has decided to throw students underneath a bus for not doing their assignments...I think it's better to be safe than sorry...

Let me explain the blog post to all of you actually reading this and paying attention: the blog post consisted of a student who lied about their reflection...and we were asked as fellow students to judge him or her with the following questions: 1. Does ZZZ think I am asking for information about how much work ZZZ has done? No. I already have that. All of it. And most of those data I get automatically. I want ZZZ to think about what ZZZ is or is not doing!
2. Does ZZZ really think that ZZZ has done all of the work that I cannot find or see?
3. Is this an attempt to hustle me?
4. If ZZZ is so inaccurate with ZZZ's own evaluation, what will ZZZ's evaluations of ZZZ's students be like?
5. Would you like to have ZZZ as a colleague?
6. Would I want my children or grandchildren to be in ZZZ's class?
7. Would you want your children or grandchildren to be in ZZZ's class?
Click here to see the comments and actual blog, so that you can come to the right conclusion on your own.

Now...before I say anything that can further jeopardize my academic carrer (because I too am behind on my blog) let me leave you with questions: Is this right of Dr. Strange? Is this what we're supposed to do to our students when they do something like wrong like this? Does he actually care and has tried to help out classmate ZZZ?

4 comments:

  1. You should add a link to this post on the post where the 'conversation" about honest self-reflection is taking place. You have some raised additional issues that should be considered by all the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make some very good points. I think that it was good that Dr. Strange pointed out the issue of honesty in taking the online questioners, but I'm not sure if I, as a future teacher would have called this student out like this, name or no name. I've been in many classroom settings where the teacher calls a student out, I think its very discouraging to the student, and to others around them. I think the best way to empower a student is by encouragement, not diminishing them and their work, although I don't believe in lying either. Constructive criticism should be applied in my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that constructive criticism is better than calling a student out even if you do not name that student because he/she knows that you as a teacher are speaking about them and then allowing other students to comment on top of it and basically just throw a fellow student under the bus. As a future teacher I think I would try to find another way to go about doing this so that the student and other students would know that honesty is a big issue in my classroom but also to where I am not just calling one student out. I feel once you have discouraged a student to a certain point they shut down and as future educators we are supposed to be learing how to encourage and build students up and find positive ways to go about things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Maybe the student should have been helped!

    ReplyDelete